For Emerging Writers in South Africa
The annual SA Writers College Short Story Competition acknowledges excellence in creative writing in the Short Story form.
The contest is open to any beginner writer living in South Africa.
- First Prize: R10 000
- Second Prize: R5 000
- Third Prize: R2 000
THEME: A person’s world is only as big as their heart. ~ Tanya A. Moore
DEADLINE: 30 April 2017
GUIDELINES FOR ENTRIES:
- We aim to support beginner writers. We only accept stories from writers who have never been published, or who have been published fewer than four times in any genre. This includes fiction or non-fiction, in any publication (for payment or otherwise). Journalists, copywriters or web writers must please not apply. We make an exception for unpaid articles for community or work newsletters, or blogs, where the circulation is under 1000.
- Entry is limited to South African residents only.
- Entrants must submit a story of maximum word count: 2000 words. Any entries exceeding the word count by 50 words will not be considered.
- Writers can interpret and represent the theme in any way they choose. Stories that appear to be entirely unrelated to the theme will not be considered.
- We strongly recommend that writers read through the competition archivesor the past winning stories to see what kind of writing appeals to us at SA Writers College. We enjoy highly original writing that is authentic and thought-provoking.
- Stories must not have been previously published. Entrants must own full copyright to the story submitted.
- Only one story per entrant is allowed.
- Only e-mail submissions are acceptable, with stories attached as Word Documents. Mark your entry clearly with the subject line: SAWC Annual Short Story Competition, and submit according to rules below.
- If you have not received an acknowledgement of your submission within three days, please re-send your entry.
- Queries and submissions must be sent to Nichola Meyer: Nichola@sawriterscollege.co.za
- Your first page of your Word document must include the story title and your name (using a font such as Arial or Times New Roman, size 12, with no special formatting please), your email address and total number of words of the entry.
- Do not include your name on any page of your story, except the title page. All entries will be judged blind.
- Use Arial or Times New Roman, size 12 or more. Use 1.5 or double spacing between lines. We prefer a clear line between paragraphs rather than indenting.
- Make sure your story has been edited and polished according to tips and guidelines provided on our college site under “Writing Resources”, or on our webzine. Read these: